To continue our series, I have listed more terms commonly used throughout a personal injury case found in the E-L section of the alphabet.

EMG: Also known as electromyography, is a test used to study the electrical activity of the muscles and function of the nerves using small needles and electrodes

Epidural Steroid Injection: An injection of cortisone into the area surrounding the spinal cord

Facet Joint: Stabilizing joints behind and between adjacent vertebrae

Fusion: Surgery used to stabilize the spine by fusing together vertebrae using bone grafts, metal rods, and screws

General Damages: These damages compensate the victim for the non-monetary aspects of a claim, often called “pain and suffering,” and include physical and metal suffering, loss of companionship, loss of consortium, disfigurement, loss of enjoyment of life, etc.

Hematoma: a collection of blood outside of the blood vessels, such as a bruise or internal bleeding

IME (“Independent Medical Exam”): also known as a “Defense Medical Exam,” is an examination done by a doctor hired by one of the parties in a case to give an opinion

Indemnify: To guarantee against a loss that another might suffer

Interrogatory: A written question that is formally put to one party in a case by another party and must be answered.

Intervertebral Disc: The shock-absorbing structure between each vertebrae

Laminectomy: A surgical procedure to remove the back of one or more vertebrae, usually to give access to the spinal cord or to relieve pressure on nerves

Liability: Being responsible to another; money owed

Lien: A security interest or legal right acquired in one’s property by a creditor

Lordosis: Excessive inward curve of the spine

Lumbar: Low back


Stay tuned for more personal injury legal terms!

If you find yourself needing to pursue a personal injury case, you should keep as much documentation as possible, including records of medical visits, photographs, and contact information for witnesses. You should not submit to a recorded statement or sign any papers until you have consulted with an attorney.